Saturday, October 18, 2014

Ikh Zing (I Sing)


King Solomon sang a love song to his Shulamit.
And just like Solomon, my love, I now bring my song to you.

I sing my Song of Songs for you.
With love I adorn it,
only for you, soul of mine,
I sing my dreams
My love for you is like a dream
Only for you, my comfort,

When I’m about to die from longing
for you, my beloved.
And when I still think
that you will once again be mine,

I sing my song from the heart,
my Song of Songs again.
Beloved, for you I sing.
YIDDISH:
Ikh zing far dir mayn shir ha-shi-rim,
Mit li-be ikh ba-tsi-rim,
Far dir nor ne-sho-me mayn.
Ikh zing, far dir may-ne kha-loy-mes,
Mayn li-be vi a troym iz,
Fun dir nor ne-kho-me mayn.

Ven ikh gey oys fun ben-ken
nokh dir ge-li-bte mayn.
Un ven ikh halt in eyn den-ken
az du vest nokh a-mol
may-ne zayn.

Ikh zing fun har-tzn may-ne li-der,
Mayn shir ha-shir-im vi-der  
Ge-lib-te, far dir ikh zing.

By Abe Ellstein and Molly Picon

No comments:

Post a Comment